Saturday 6 February 2016

Lets Begin

Well I'm not sure how anyone else is feeling? but I THINK I have just about got my head around what I am about to embark on.

Now yesterday was just "one of those days" you know the kind I mean? - and it all began at 7.45am. So firstly I had a tap class which I had to combined two grades together, while people were trying to get fitted with new pointe shoes. I then (reluctantly) had my pointe shoe fitting - Another thing that I am trying to fit into my busy schedule. Completing my Advanced 1 Ballet. Anyone else ever ask themselves why?! haha!

Anyway back to the point, it then continued to my Games class strolling in all being miserable, tired and stressed about exams - which turned into a some kind of counselling session assuring them it would all be okay in the end! -Teenagers. Fellow teachers do you find that this sometimes happens? especially in small classes?

Well it then continued to a crazy class of boys, followed by a crazy pre school class with one little two year old screaming for the whole half hour! and to top it all off- Struggling to get the Skype to work for the induction!!

Despite it all I managed, well I didn't get to hear everyone - I grasp what was going on through typing and a frantic phone call to my friend after to catch me up and all was fine.

Now technology is NOT my strong point - Anyone else feel the same? and this is something that through this journey I am going to have to improve and develop for myself rather than having to phone my partner while he is at work "Matt how do I do this?"

BUT despite my "one of those days" yesterday, and after having a good sleep on it, I feel that I am ready and raring to get started on this journey, I don't know about anyone else?

I suppose all that s left to say for now is: "Lets begin"

7 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,

    I completely empathise with everything you wrote in this Blog, but the part that got me thinking the most was the part about teaching small groups and feeling like the lesson becomes a counselling session.
    I can really relate to this especially as a lot of my time is spent teaching adolescents. I often find myself having to reassure, build confidence and self asstem.
    It makes me wonder when did we stop just being dance teachers? I remember as a student I was always told don't bring your personal life into class, dance is the outlet for your problems if your feeling like crap show it through dance, release your endorphins and you will instantly feel better! I have to wonder why it is that teenagers today cannot apply the same principles and just enjoy there time in class?
    Yes I want to be supportive and caring but is it really our job as dance teachers to be the ones to get them through all the trials and tribulations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlie,

      I completely agree with the points you have made here. I myself was told something very similar when I was in lessons and at Urdang.

      However I do feel due to the environment that I work in. That it being an actual school rather than just a full time dance school that I do have a duty of care towards those girls, and if they need to express how they are feeling to me then I should let them do so.

      Now funnily enough I do think If I haven't had started doing pastoral work and working on a boarding house I would have viewed it differently and just made them get on with it, however with this recent experience and know how far away some of these girls are away from home it can be very difficult.

      What do you think? I know you have worked in a school environment before and currently are in a college environment. Do you act differently/take a different approach depending on what environment you are in? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

      Delete
  2. Hi Laura,

    Yes I know what you mean and yes your circumstances are very different because as you said you have a pastoral role and the pupils you teach are far away from home so I totally understand that.

    Yes I definatly think different environments need a different approach and I do think that pupils need a certain amount of support and encouragement I'm just not sure if that place should be the dance studio during class time otherwise what are the parents paying for!
    But then that's my point what are the parents paying for? Are we just a subsitute? A place for parents to leave their children so they can have their space?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should just say I don't mean to sound really heartless I really care about all my pupils but I want them to get the most out of there time in class. I'd rather spend some time talking to them at the end of class when they have already raised their mood through the release of endorphins as it's more likely to be s positive conversation with an action plan.

    After all isn't that what we were taught in DDE training the purpose of the warm up is to bring all pupils minds to a focus and forget about what has happened during the rest of the day? X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry final thought of tonight( you really got me thinking tonight!)

    I do wonder if you had asked me those questions 6 months ago before I started teaching dance in a full time dance college if my response would have been the same.
    I would definatly say that when students are training full time there is a feeling amongst staff that the indistry is tough and if you want to make it you have to grow a thick skin and get on with things.
    I believe having worked professional in the industry myself that this is accurate and that maybe working in this environment I have adopted this train of thought.

    However I do believe maybe this approach is not effective for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Charlie,

    Yes you are quite right about the fact that we were taught that the warm up brings children into the right frame of mind for the class, and no you don't sound heartless at all.

    I also think that in these circumstances you do have to look at the individual. Is that student wanting to go into the industry professionally, or are they just dancing for fun and exercise.

    If they are wanting to go professional then maybe the "tough love" approach is the way forward. I know I was given that as a child and it has definitely made me the strong person I am today, but for a few of my friends who I know didn't want to dance then the "tough love" didn't work - It just made them not want to be there.

    It put them off being in that environment, and I think there is a fine line especially at after school dance classes that you do get that balance. After all are we not supposed to encourage children to enjoy dance and have fun while being disciplined and learning a new skill?

    Now this could take us off on a whole different topic!!

    What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I agree with you, tough love is not always the right method and it depends on what your definition of tough love is too!
    It's all down to the individuals we teach and what works for them.

    ReplyDelete