Sunday 14 February 2016

CV's and more!

Now CV writing is something that I have ALWAYS struggled with. How do you know what to write? How long should it be? Should I list every single thing that I have already done/achieved?

I don't know about anybody else, but I came to look at uploading my CV on here for you all to have a nosy at and realised that the CV on my laptop was in fact, the one that I had been guided to do at sixteen years old at school and had not been updated since! Anyone else still got there's? poorly written, listing every single GCSE you had because at the time that was you're biggest achievement? Do you know the ones I mean?

Anyway after spending much time re jigging everything here is a copy for you to have a look at.

Laura Jayne Hopkinson  
Date of Birth:  14th December 1993
Email:               lhopkinson14@btinternet.com
Profile     
I am an honest, reliable, trustworthy person with good timekeeping skills, who works hard and is always willing to undertake any tasks asked of me to the best of my ability.  During my last year at school I was a prefect and deputy head girl
Education
2015-2016 BA Honours BAAP, Middlesex university 
2013 -2015   Foundation Degree, Prestons College
 2012-2013         Foundation Course, Urdang Academy, London
2010-2012         The Brooksbank School, Victoria Road, Elland
 2005-2010         Holy Trinity Senior School, Halifax
Qualifications
Teaching      ISTD DDE in Modern Theatre
                    ISTD DDE in Tap Dance
ISTD DDE in Classical Ballet  
                    Exercise to Music
 ‘A’ Levels         Performance Studies       B
                          English Literature            D
                          Biology                            D
                          11 GCSE Grades A*-C including Maths and English Language
Experience
2003-2015         Footsteps Theatre School, Bradford
At theatre school I took classes in all forms of dance as well as singing.  In addition I helped out, on a voluntary basis, with the teaching of students aged 4 to 18 years old with a wide range of abilities and covered classes for the teachers when they were unavailable.  I also did admin work as and when required.
2007-2012         Baby Ballet, Halifax
I started work at Baby Ballet helping out in the shop, which involved processing and packing orders and taking card payments.  Then I progressed to being a Party Host where I was responsible for setting up parties, preparing food and ensuring that the children and parents were happy during the party.  Once the party was over I had to make sure that everything was clean and tidied away.
During my time at Baby Ballet I have dressed up as all three of their mascots (bear, fairy and cowboy) and at the Baby Show at the NEC, Birmingham I performed on stage dressed as Twinkle, the Baby Ballet bear.  I also performed as a backing dancer for Darren Day at the Baby Ballet Charity Ball.
2012-2013 Mystical Fairies Hampstead
During my time at Mystical Fairies, I was a party assistant. - This meant carrying out duties to assist the main party host. Similar duties to what I had performed in my previous employment. I also worked at charitable events such as Christmas parties and Great Ormond street hospital.
2014-2015 The Plummet Line Hotel, Halifax
I started working at the Plummet Line as a member of the bar. This lead to duties such as serving food and drinks to customers and gaining skills in customer services. Here I was in charge of the charity events that we held at the pub.   
Interests
In my spare time I enjoy distance running, with my greatest achievement to date being the completion of the Yorkshire Marathon.


Now I feel in my very short lifespan of twenty two years I have managed to do a variety of different things professionally however they do still (minus the pub!) all link. I'd love to see the variety that is on CVs of others!

But for now I shall leave you with this!

3 comments:

  1. After reading this post I also realised that my CV is very outdated! I'd like to think that I can finally get rid of the detailed GCSE results and roles that I learnt at school so I can finally include actual professional experience :D

    I'm planning on updating my own to also post on my blog. It's nice to see how you have approached yours, especially the experience section as I personally feel that's the most important part of one's CV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ben :)

    Yes, my CV is definitely something that did need some love and attention! Personally it is one of the jobs on the to do list that I do always put off. I'm not sure about your self or others, and I'm not quite sure why this is?

    But I agree, a little snippet about your experiences has always worked in my favour in interview situations (not that I am implying I always get the job!) however it allows the employer to ask you questions about what you have already done before and why. It makes me been a little calmer anyway!

    I look forward to reading your updated CV :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura! Your CV is very clear and fluid. I still have the CV I made in school is it so basic I do not know how I got a part time job with it - we all have to start someone I suppose! I like the way you have abbreviate your GSCEs I still have mine all on there but in a very small font, seeing yours have made realise I could do the same.

    ReplyDelete