Saturday 27 February 2016

Imagine Travelling Back In Time

How many of you have everything on electronic devises? your diary? work? important documents? banking? you get my drift.

Now I am as guilty as charged for this. - I can't remember the last time I actually went into my bank branch!!

I was having an interesting discussion the other day. How do we cope when all this (don't get me wrong) fantastic technology fails us? We seem to forget that there was a time when there wasn't super laptops and phones that did everything for us at the click of the button?

What happened to good old pen and paper? Is it wise that we do keep everything electronically and should we keep paper copies for reference?

Do you get extremely frustrated and mad when the technology fails? I know I do. Especailly with work. Now if everything goes down at work (which I'm afraid to say does happen quite a lot due to the location that we are in - the middle of no where!) we then can not acess anything. Registers - knowing who is in and out of the building. The email systm that is our main form of communication between staff. Resources to use for lessons. What happened to a good old chalk board?!

Now I am releatively young in all fairness, but I can't belive how much technology for education has developed since I left school four years ago! Ipads to use in lesson, online homework and much much more. Is it right that children should depend so much on technology? Should they be taught how to document information by hand? Should they be encouraged to read actual books rather than using Ipads/Kindles etc? What do you think? Personally I think they should, despite having access to all these wonderful things, I have to admit I do still like to write things down. Is this just me?

Have you ever actually thought in a time when you have been stuck due to having no technology - what used to happen?  They knew how to cope with out it, both professionally and socially because they did not have the luxery of these items. How many of you walk into a bar/resturante/hotel and try to hunt down the wifi code as a proity? -I know I have

So what do you think? Do we relay too much on these amazing gadgets that we are blessed with? How would you cope if you travelled back in time? - I'd love to hear thoughts and opinions.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting read. I am in the same boat as you Laura, I rely heavily on my electronic devices for almost everything. I have had this conversation before with fellow residence of Estonia as literally everything is digital here.. taxes, voting, you name it.. so I know here they have a lot of fail safes to keep everything afloat but I have thought many times before there question of "what if it all goes belly up?" I just hope the stationary stores are stocked up :)

    ReplyDelete