Wednesday 10 February 2016

Is performing the key?

Now this blog that I am about to post is a constant battle that I have had over the years with few people. Don't get me wrong everyone has always had my best intentions at heart, however it is something that I would love to hear other people's views on.

As a young teenager I was adamant that I was going to be on the West End. Eight shows a week performing in the heart of theatre land. So I worked my backside off and did everything I did to succeed in my goal.

Teaching is something that I had always had an interest in and have always loved to do. Now I have been extremely fortunate and owe a lot to my first teacher for giving me so many opportunities to be able to teach and assist classes from a young age, and as a young naïve teenager I added into my life plan "I'll teach later on when my West End career is over"

So at Eighteen bags all packed off I went to London. Now I wasn't lucky enough to gain funding for any of the three year courses that I was accepted of, so opted to do a one year foundation course to be able to work even harder and maybe gain that help of funding (This is also a topic that I will  be discussing in a later blog)

After a year of blood sweat and many tears, I was lucky enough to gain places on many three year musical theatre courses, however was still not entitled to any funding. Time for plan B

Now I did think very long and hard about this - but I took the decision that I no longer wanted to perform and I wanted to go down the teaching route. Deep down my passion was teaching. I love to see how you can help students improve and when a student "gets it" with your help for me is the best most rewarding feeling you can have.

Now I had many mixed responses to my decision "You should still go off and perform Laura! - think about the experiences you can pass on" "You can always teach - you can't always perform" - and many comments along those lines.

Obviously I knew that everyone had my best intentions at heart - however being a fiery stubborn red head I stuck to my decision and pursued with my teaching, and if I hadn't of done that I would be were I am today with the job that I have and love.

Do I regret not performing? No I don't not one bit. Do I think that if I would have performed it would have made me a better teacher? Absolutely not. If you are passionate enough and can get the message across to your pupils and share that passion that I still have and always will have for dance then surely that is all a student can ask for.

I do believe that no matter what, if you put your heart and sole into and share your passion with your students, then surely that it all they could want?

I would love to hear some thoughts and opinions on this!   

5 comments:

  1. Really have enjoyed reading your blog, I really get where you are coming from. The way you have written this sounds like the speeches I say all the time. The way I see it are you happy ? If yes then it does not matter what others say, if the drive has fizzled out to perform and a new one has appeared in teaching then why not! If you feel regret then I would give it one last shot but if you don't then carry on with your passion! Teaching is what I have decided to do and now Im looking to more into Primary School Education as a teacher, life is amazing got to take it and enjoy it as it comes not to keep questioning our choices are you happy yes go with the flow sounds like your strong headed .... they always survive !! Look forward to your next post ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't regret my decision one bit :) - Don't get me wrong I still enjoy going to classes and working at my own pace in a friendly non competitive environment working towards my own personal goals.

      I'd love to hear what you do in the primary school sector as that is something that I am particularly interested in going in to

      Delete
  2. Hi Laura, I have really enjoyed reading your blog. Your job at the boarding school sounds great! I spent a short time at the Legat School of Dance which is located in St Bede's Boarding School and can honestly say I loved every aspect of boarding school. Unfortunately Legat didn't suit my needs at the time, so I returned home to train. My teaching experience has been limited to teaching private lessons for children and classes for the casts on board. Performing has always been my passion so I am very much in the agreement of perform full time first and teach full time later. But being a good performer does not necessarily make a good teacher and being a good teacher does not necessarily make a good performer. My opinion to find one's strengths and do what makes one happy.
    Best of luck with your advanced 1 Exam and this course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nora, Thank you :) ahh I know of the Legat school. My first dance teacher attended from the age of 13. - Thank you for expressing your opinion :) and I look forward to reading more of your blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura this was a really interesting read!!! When it comes to the dance profession most think it is easy and when you say that you aren't in a west end show many think you have failed. WRONG!! Dance is a tough complicated industry. The fact you now have a [assion for teaching is great I am also finding that. Really interesting to read how you got to where you are. Lizzie

    ReplyDelete