Thursday 3 March 2016

So many meanings ....

I'm not sure if it's just me, but how many of you double and triple check text messages/Emails to see if you think the message that you have intended to give will get across, or will it be "lost in transit" "miss read" "miss Interpreted"




Does this sound familiar? and again leads me on to the question of do we need all these electronic communications and the development of Web 2.0? Does this "high tech" equipment actually lead to further miss communication? which can then lead  to tension between friends colleagues as we could potentially be in this situation professionally and socially.


During a discussion I had last week, the use of "neutral tone" was brought up quite a lot - meaning read the words as they are on the page, but do we ever honestly do this? - I know I don't.


I'll give you an example; So a simple question via email/text "Where were you last night?" can be interpreted in a number of different ways! Is the person being concerned? are they being nosy? Are they being off hand? you just don't know - and this is my point.


Sometimes online communication can cause so much upset stress and unnecessary hassle - again both socially and professionally. Now I am often quite partial to an episode of "Jeremy Kyle" whilst doing odd jobs and how many times do you hear "Well .... posted it on Facebook!" Is this what the development of Web 2.0 was for? hassle and upset? - I don't think so


I mean I am all for emails and texting and everything it's convenient fast and effective and yes, the majority of the time does not cause the extra hassle, but it does sometimes make me wonder, what has happened to having a face to face meeting. I hear it all the time at work "Oh we don't need a meeting, I'll just send you an email" Have we lost the ability to communicate face to face?


I'd love to hear thoughts and opinions on this!

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant - yes I do this all the time - checking and rechecking - and then making sure I have not lost an important communique! Conversations now go on in very dis-jointed was - the blog keeps everything in one place - FB but means you are not in control always of the volume! People tweet 24/7 as well. Avoiding stress also sounds like a good thing to incorporate into professional communication - if you would not say it face-to-face - should you write it? or send that image?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it isn't just me! - Good question. Images must be clear if this would be the way to communicate. Would this then lead to further miss communication? who knows!? Can we really get a clear message from an image? Or will every eye interpret it differently? I think so. I am a fan of writing things down myself, but again this has it's downfall! - things get lots etc. So who knows, maybe we just need to find a clear concise way to communicate using Web 2.0 and media.

      Delete
  2. Yes Laura!! I do it all the time! I am definitely guilty of reading too much into things. I have developed a technique to try make sure I am not over reacting. I read, wait a few hours and then read it again before I reply. That way I have time to think from all angles and make sure I am interpreting things the way they are meant to be read. I love the "neutral tone". When talking face to face there is not often room for mis-interpretation. I think Web 2.0 platforms are definitely having an effect on how we as adults communicate and how children communicate. I have noticed that at big family meals, where it used to be the kids chatting and making a noise, they are now sat in silence staring at a screen. They are all communicating silently with each other and other people not present. they are loosing one voice and gaining another. How is this going to effect them in later life? Are they going to be able to have a face to face conversation and what will the knock on effects be on their own children? Are the next generations going to learn to speak out loud if everything is done through Web 2.0?
    Nora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree - children are terrible now a days and I think it's awful at meals and anti social. Do you feel that sometimes in today's society it's the "Easy Option" Give them a phone and an ipad and it will keep them quiet for a few hours. I don't think that this is exactly intestinal, however can sometimes come across that way to an outsider. what do you think?

      Delete