Saturday 19 March 2016

Is technology actually harming our children's learning?

With the development of Web 2.0 and all it's technology and all our "Smart devises" I thought I would try do some research on previous articles that have been present in the news.

So I know that this article that I am about to share with you is more about education in general rather than being specific to the "Arts" however I thought it was an interesting article, find the link below;


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34252598

Now I have to say, I think I agree. The way the children are talking about the use of technology making lessons "fun" which "yes" lessons should be I agree with that, but is it sad that technology has such a massive impact in education today?

Should teachers use technology in every lesson? - Should children learn that technology and the web can not assist them in every aspect of life?

I'm not saying that it isn't a fantastic tool and in cases can be brilliant, but I do think children should know how to use a text book, how to reference properly. How to write a bibliography. I know I have blogged about this before, but I would love to hear other peoples opinion, especially if you work in an educational environment?

Have a watch of the video if you have the time!

4 comments:

  1. Hello! Really good discussion point I think, I went through the education system at the time it was developing so saw the introduction and increasing use of technology in the classroom. Technology has really helped learning become more visual and interactive through the use of touchscreen whiteboards, online quizzes and revision etc. However, I feel that maybe some teachers are a little too reliant on technology and reacding from an actual book is rapidly becoming 'not the norm'.
    I feel like maybe some important face to face communication skills are not being developed as much as they possibly should be because of the introduction of new technology and its increasing usage and development. New generations are becoming more confident talking through screens than they are with having verbal conversations, which is an important life skill!
    So yes there certainly are pros and cons to the increasing use of technology in education!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Yes I agree there are many pros and cons to the use of technology in education. For example in subjects such as Business/ICT/Computing. It's inevitable that technology is going to be used, however in more core subjects such as Maths English and Science, should people think twice about grabbing straight for the Ipad?

    I agree that students are now less confident about speaking in public in front of there peers. Does this mean that we need to add more Drama to the curriculum? helping students to gain confidence in public speaking and speaking well? Would love to hear your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great ideas! I feel like having to use your voice to speak in a classroom is key to the development of a child. Children should be encouraged to discuss ideas and views with others in the classroom, be confident to ask for help and also develop key people skills needed in life as opposed to being reliant on speaking through a screen. However, with the development of technology it is also important that children develop ICT and online communication skills also as this is becoming an essential life skill. So I agree with you that certain lessons should be technology based but not all!

      Delete
    2. I agree Rebecca, speaking in the classroom is key to the development of a child. It is key for life. Asking for directions, asking for help in a shop. It's a key skill that is I feel defiantly lacking in today's society. Do you think that teachers should actively encourage this in lessons? - Should more communication skills be included on a daily basis? Is this a way that we could incorporate arts more within the education system so that it is beneficial to all?

      Delete