Thursday 21 April 2016

Networking Theories

After looking through the different theories of networking and actually really enjoying looking into it, however feeling that they may not be all be applicable to my work place right now, but I do however have my own thoughts and ideas that I am going to share with you.

Cooperation
When I first read about this (two lines in!) I instantly thought "I'm not going to understand this" after reading that it had been developed predominantly by mathematicians. However, the idea that "one player succeeds at another's expense" does make sense to me, however not in my particular world of work right now, however I can see how this could possibly work in an audition situation as tough as this may sound! Would anyone else agree? I also had ago at the online game provided in the link! (which I did probably spend too much time doing!) however if you haven't yet had ago I would as it is quite a good visual to use and did actually make the whole thing a little clearer http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/playground/pd.html
So yes cooperation is something that I probably would not find helpful in my career at this time, however is something that I have enjoyed reading into - and a bit like the picture below I do see cooperation a bit like completing a jigsaw. It will not become a picture until all the pieces cooperate and work together.

















Affiliation

"Larson, Csikszentmihalyi and Graef (1982) found that adolescents spent about 75% of their waking time with other people" Crisp and Turner. This I find to be extremely relevant personally. Working in a school you rarely do get a moments peace! - Which I personally love, and I defiantly feel that I have "A network of support that will help up when we are in need" (Crisp and Turner 2007 p.266) Now I wouldn't say that I struggle to make a decision on my own, but I do like to have that re assurance from fellow colleagues especially being so new into my career I feel that it is always better to ask an opinion and for advice as they of course have more experience than I do and I do think that everyone at some point does need that reassurance and affiliation whether it be from a professional or from a friend for that support network. On the contrary like it does say in the reader there is that balance and some people do need that space and that alone time and it is something that is so unpredictable as it is so personal. Does anyone else find that affiliation is something that they find they can relate too. I do also feel that as people of the Arts we are quite expressive and do like someone to express these opinions too, however I am extremely open to others points of view on this.



Theory of connectivity and Connectivism

These two theories are something that I would like to research into more, but would like to hear other people's views and opinions on them so far.

Finally after researching into this - It has made me realise how much I do relay on my collegues for support, which I suppose isn't always a bad thing, but has made me realise that maybe sometimes I just need to go with my gut instinct, and finally from you, I'd like to hear what this reading has made you reflect upon? Has it made you realise anything? looking forward to hearing different ideas.

2 comments:

  1. In response to your question about "Does anyone else find that affiliation Is something that they find they can relate too?"

    I agree with you that earlier in my career I did seek others approval and use this as a guide to further development. I still do use this affiliation, but as I have gone further along my career, I find that I more often the one asked for critique or reassurance from more junior members of my company.

    This in turn is helpful as it allows me to reflect on my own critique and the way in which I deliver this to them which is developing my own self reflecting practices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lawrence, thanks for your thoughts, and yes I can see that because I am so early on in my career I am going to be seeking others approval etc., but hadn't really thought about how the tables may turn later on when I am the "Experienced" one.

    ReplyDelete