Thursday 14 April 2016

Inquiring

As I embarked on this task, I actually found it extremely difficult! - I have done many drafts before actually bringing myself to write a blog post.

So as I began to read and digest the questions that it seemed that right now they are not all relevant or appropriate for myself. "What do you feel you don't understand?" as I am newly embarking on my career I do not yet know what I don't understand as everyday is a new adventure and learning curve making it very difficult for me to pin point certain things. So then I asked the self my question "How am I improving and learning?" well its linking back to what we have been discussing about reflecting and journaling. The more that I document what I am doing and look at what went well and what didn't the more I can improve and understand my practice fully and will therefore be able to understand and know what I don't understand.

Music has always been a massive part of me and I have an extremely eclectic taste in music and have been encourage from a very young age from both my parents and teachers to listen to a wide variety of music, and it is something that I am extremely enthusiastic about and is where I always start the base for my choreography. For example I have just choreographed to a piece of music by the sterophonics called "Into the World"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2qh47P2g2w
Immediately when I listened to this piece of music I heard and imagined the use of cannon throughout this piece. Listening to different styles of music inspires me in so many different ways. I tend to imagine and see how different patterns can work with choreography.

As I read the second question - I wasn't sure which perspective I wanted to view it from. A teacher, a choreographer, or as a dancer (which not forgetting is what I wanted to do when I was younger) So I decided to have a look at all three aspects from different angles. As a teacher it makes me angry when I see talented students who do not have drive and passion and have a come day go day attitude. I think this is because as a child I was always taught to put 110% in everything that I did and my teachers were a massive inspiration for me back then as a student and now as a teacher. Anyway back to the point. I find it really disheartening when I don't see that drive in others and I guess others of you that are teachers will feel the same? (would love your thoughts) however I do think that it is something that I will learn over time to deal with as I gain more experience.

And I will finish this post with my main dance inspiration and my favourite clip of his. Fred Astaire is a person as a choreographer and a dancer that I find a true inspiration. Despite him being an academic Fred decided to pursue his career in his love of performance and dance and went with his heart not what others wanted for him. I love the way he looks so relaxed and at ease while he is performing and dancing and his movements are effortless and free flowing, I will leave you with a link to the clip of my favourite chorography/performance of his. Can you guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w40ushYAaYA  

No comments:

Post a Comment