Thursday 14 April 2016

It's good to talk! - Networking

So this evening (13/04/16) a group of modules 1's  had a discussion with Paula as we are all about to embark on Reader 3 and our Critical Reflection! (time please slow down!) However despite the technology fairies not being on our side this evening we did manage to have quite a good discussion.

Now Lois - May made a really good point about never really understanding the value of networking professionally until she started her job - and I totally get that myself. her blog is a really good read http://lois-mayhunt.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/task-3a-current-networks.html

It's true though with the availability of text/email/Facebook etc. it's sometimes easy to forget who we speak too professionally and who we speak too as friends. Have you ever sent a text or email to the wrong person? I know I have! and I also know that I read in the magazine Cosmopolitan of a girl who sent an email out with pictures of her job which was meant to just be for colleagues in the office however it ended up going out to a client instead! - It's so easily done!

So my initial thoughts and feelings on networking as I embark on reader 3. I think it's an excellent way of being able to connect with other professionals for help and advice but we also network socially too and it's finding that balance and knowing the difference between who we speak too in a professional manner and who we class as social networking and is something that I am going to look into further - Now at the end of the skype last night I threw in the quote "It's not what you know - it's who you know" I feel this is extremely apt when speaking about networking. A topic that was discussed last night was; do you think that if you go for a job and you find out that another candidate knows people on the panel, do you think that gives them an advantage? Will the employer go with what they already know? Would love to hear others thoughts and opinions on this!   

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laura,

    I seem to be missing out on all these Skype sessions but I can give an answer to your last question about knowing people on audition panels or job interviews.

    I truly believe that networking is so important if you know someone on a panel yes it's definatly going to hold some sway in your favour! Although I do believe you have to have the passion , talent and drive to get the job I firmly believe in that too!

    Sometimes your networking and don't even know it! I used to take a class at pineapple every week and met a young women who I got on with so well. It turned out she was a choreographer in celebrity cruises but I only found this out as I auditioned. Did it help me get the job I believe yes but for all the right reasons as week after week she saw my commitment , talent and enthusiasm I have for what I do.

    So I do believe networking is a vital tool in any career progression but i do not see it as an unfair advantage .

    ReplyDelete