Sunday 16 October 2016

Where it all begins to get interesting - Research!

"Research shares much in common with dance making." (Penelope Hanstein Balancing the Systematic and the Serendipitous - 1999, 23) 

As soon as I read this extract in the reader it made smile, just because it clicked and made sense. When I am choreographing dances for students it's a case of trail and error or "research" to see which steps feel nice to dance together and what link together nicely. I don't just stick with the first thing that comes into my head as I don't just have to think about what feels nice for me to dance, but also the ability of my students. I have to know and you could say "research" into my students to ensure that I give them the best possible experience in my class I can. 

If for some reason it does not work, then you continue to develop your choreography and research to make it better and more enjoyable for your students the next time and you keep going until your students are satisfied and happy with the finished piece. 

After reading this - I plan to take this approach with my research, and I am actually looking forward to the experience and the different ways of conducting i.e books, journals observations etc. Taking segments and pieces of information for different sources and keep going until I feel satisfied I have enough and I am happy with all that I have.  

A year ago if someone had said to me "you have to go and research ...." I would have wanted to turn and run to the nearest exit. However after reading through the reader and especially being able to relate to Penelope Hanstein has re assured me that it can potentially be a new and exciting experience, and I am looking forward to discovering some information that will in time help me with my inquiry. 






1 comment:

  1. Thanks Laura - it is time to have a tutorial - yes research is a great skill to have - we do practitioner research so it makes sense to what people are doing in the workplace - like your approach and understanding of the process

    ReplyDelete