Sunday 16 October 2016

Skills and Knowledge - What is it? and How do we know?

As I was reading through this section of the reader it was something that I really struggled to get my head around. I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same, but I really had to think about "What do I know?" and "How do I know it?"

 Now I know some of you may think that it sounds a daft statement and that I must already know how I know what I know (takes a while to get your head around!) but the truth is that day to day life goes on I get on with doing my job and hopefully I think doing a good one.

This also steamed a couple of  thoughts. Is this healthy to be just getting on with it and not really thinking about it? - I'm sure it's something that lots of us face from time to time but should we really just go about our jobs and professions like this - personally I don't think so. Is it something that comes in waves? or is it just natural? we have trained for many years in something that we are passionate about so is it now just second nature?  would love to hear the thoughts of others.

It has also taken me a while to get my head around Trans disciplinary and disciplinary within the work place, but I think I have cracked it. Anyway to help me do this I had to sit and do some brain storming in my journal and actually see it on paper and this really helped.

Due to working in a school I feel that I am going to have to take a more transdiciplinary approach as I am hoping to look at how the arts help students across the board not just in their arts subjects so I am going to have to research look into and reflect on other areas of learning and knowledge. This is where I think "Gibbons et al" notion of "Mode 2" will be an interesting avenue to have a look at.

 "2. Mode 2 knowledge production is transdisciplinary, which means it uses a range of theoretical perspectives and practical methodologies to solve problems" (Gibbons, 2008 online)  

Below are some images of my scribbles from my journal for you to have a look at and hopefully I will start to identify things in the work place that will benefit my professional inquiry.









1 comment:

  1. Whether we think of what we do as disciplinary (arts and education) or trans - problem-centred (Leavy) looking at issues that cross borders. Many of of have not really looked at what we do in this way because we are taught in a discipline and stay in a discipline. Do we need to think about doing things differently outside the box in professional practice? Some of the practitioners on the course use mainly disciplinary knowledge - however your arguments Laura that you also help students outside of teaching them arts is a good observation that the context for Your inquiry might include arts ideas (theories for dance and performance), education ideas (teaching and leaning, pedagogy), working with other adults to create a safe and creative environment (social theory) and looking at how your work fits into a larger scheme within an organisation (organsational studies). The next step is to look at what you have identified and try to find 1. some inquiry questions to guide you in looking at a small area (think slice rather than a huge pie!) of practice and 2. expertise - others who have done research about what you are interested in finding out about (this is the literature searching...).

    ReplyDelete